NJ Society of Municipal Engineers
2015 Project of the Year
Honor Place Category C
Avenel is located in the northeastern portion of the Township of Woodbridge and is bifurcated by the Conrail North Jersey Coast Line that runs in a North/South orientation through the community. Avenel Street is the only roadway that provides an East/West link through the community between U.S. Route 1 and County Route 514 (Rahway Avenue). In addition the Avenel Train Station is located at the railroad overpass on Avenel Street. As such the roadway carries a significant amount of traffic. Based upon NJDOT records the roadway exhibited an AADT of approximately 12,000 vehicles in 2011.
Prior to the improvements the Township had been experiencing frequent sanitary sewerage surcharges and the roadway has begun to exhibit significant deterioration. Given the importance of the roadway for East/West travel to and from US Route 1, the Township turned to Consulting Engineer Michael McClelland, P. E. and Partner of CME Associates to provide Engineering Design and Construction Phase Services for the improvements to Avenel Street.
• RECONSTRUCT EXISTING ROADWAY TO IMPROVE DETERIORATED PAVEMENT CONDITIONS
• REPLACE EXISTING AGED SANITARY SEWERAGE SYSTEM TO REDUCE SURCHARGING CONDITIONS AND ALLEVIATE FUTURE DISTURBANCE TO THE ROADWAY
• PROVIDE IMPROVEMENTS TO DRAINAGE SYSTEM
• MAINTAIN SANITARY SEWERAGE FLOWS THROUGHOUT CONSTRUCTION
• MAINTAIN TRAFFIC FLOW THROUGHOUT CONSTRUCTION
• REMOVE REDUNDANT SEWER MAINS AND CONSOLIDATE SEWER CONNECTIONS TO NEW SEWER MAIN
• HAVE ROAD PASSABLE FOR THE AVENEL FIRE COMPANY 100TH ANNIVERSARY PARADE.
UNIQUE OR UNUSUAL DESIGN FEATURES:
• DESIGN OF SANITARY SEWERAGE SYSTEM IMPROVEMENTS THAT LESSEN SURCHARGE CONDITIONS AND BACKUPS INTO EXISTING HOMES
• DEVELOPMENT OF CONSTRUCTION STAGING PROCEDURES THAT ALLOWED FOR TRAFFIC AND SANITARY SEWERAGE FLOWS TO BE MAINTAINED WITHOUT INTERRUPTION.
• PROVISIONS OF ADA COMPLIANT WALKWAYS WHILE MAINTAINING ADEQUATE DRIVEWAY GRADES FOR SPECIALIZED VEHICLES
• USE OF DEEP SANITARY SEWER HOUSE CONNECTIONS TO MINIMIZE TRENCHING AND ACCELERATE CONSTRUCTION SCHEDULES
• CLOSE COORDINATION WITH UTILITY COMPANIES TO ALLOW FOR CONSTRUCTION TO PROCEED WITH MINIMAL DISRUPTION TO RESIDENTIAL AND COMMERCIAL SERVICE
Through the efforts of Michael McClelland, the sewer and roadway base pavement were completed by June 8, 2013 in time for the Avenel Fire Department to celebrate their 100th Anniversary with a Parade down the newly constructed roadway. Considering the significant depth of the sanitary sewer trenches, the Township requested that the installation of the roadway surface course be delayed as an added assurance that the trenches would not consolidate and in September of 2014, the final pavement course was installed. In the end, these challenging improvements to the sanitary sewerage system and roadway were completed with relatively minimal impacts to commuter traffic, residents and businesses, much to the satisfaction of the Township of Woodbridge.