New Jersey Sociaety of Municipal Egineers
2nd Place - Municipal Management Projects
The Borough of South River has three fire companies that serve this 2.9 square mile community. The Reliable Fire Company and Engine Company 1 are located at the George Street Firehouse. The second fire house is located on Appleby Avenue and is home to the Summit Fire Company. These volunteer fire companies have served the Borough with pride for well over 100 years.
Aware of the need of a new firehouse, a building committee was formed in 2009. The committee was comprised of members from all three fire companies. The goal of the committee was to determine the ultimate need of the fire companies. Site location and firehouse amenities were the paramount concerns of the committee. Of course, the cost associated with a new facility was also a concern.
Accordingly, the Mayor and Council reached out to Municipal Engineer David J. Samuel for his management assistance to help make their dreams become reality. Mr. Samuel assisted the Borough with the reviewing of possible sites within the borough that could potentially suit the needs of the fire companies. Mr. Samuel was requested to work with and coordinate the architectural design firm to assist in developing a functional building that will meet the present and future needs of the fire companies.
• ASSIST BUILDING COMMITTEE WITH SITE SELECTION
• ASSIST WITH PROPERTY ACQUISITION
• MANAGE SITE REMEDIATION
• MANAGE UNFORESEEN GEOTECHNICAL ISSUES
• SITE PLAN PREPARATION
• WORK CLOSELY WITH PROJECT ARCHITECT
• CONSTRUCTION SITE MANAGEMENT
UNIQUE OR UNUSUAL DESIGN FEATURES:
• PERFORM A LIMITED SITE INVESTIGATION STUDY AND DEVELOP A DEMOLITION AND REMEDIATION PLAN FOR PUBLIC BID
• COORDINATE AND CONDUCT WEEKLY MEETINGS DURING SITE DESIGN WITH THE PROJECT ARCHITECT, BOROUGH OFFICIALS, AND FIRE DEPARTMENT REPRESENTATIVES TO ENSURE THE NEEDS OF ALL WERE MET
• DEVELOP A UNIQUE FOUNDATION PLAN UTILIZING DRIVEN PILES AS A COST EFFECTIVE SOLUTION TO AN EXPENSIVE SOIL REMOVAL AND REPLACEMENT PROCESS
• MANAGE THE REIMBURSEMENT OF FUNDS FOR SITE REMEDIATION BY APPLYING FOR AND RECEIVING NJDEP GRANT
• DEVELOP A CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT PLAN WITH LITTLE IMPACT ON THE LOCAL AREA
Through the several year management efforts of their Municipal Engineer David Samuel, the Borough of South River has replaced its antiquated fire house with a new state of the art facility. Though it took many years to become reality, the South River Fire Department now has a proper home for the volunteers who take pride in protecting their community. A home they can be proud of for many years to come.