Carteret Recreation Pier
NJ Society of Municipal Engineers
Project of the Year
Facing tough economic challenges, the Borough of Carteret's dream of restoring their waterfront has continued. With a vision of a future marina and transit village in their sight, the Mayor and Borough Council directed Consulting Engineer Gregory R. Valesi P.E., P.P. & C.M.E. to plan, design, permit and construct a 700' long pier extension projecting southerly from the existing Promenade located within Carteret Waterfront Park.
- DESIGN AND BUILD A PIER OFF OF THE EXISTING PROMENADE IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE BOROUGH'S WATERFRONT REDEVEOPMENT MANAGEMENT PLAN
- IDENTIFY AND ACQUIRE ALL PERMITTING NECESSARY
- ASSIST THE BOROUGH WITH IDENTIFYING AND SECURING GRANT MONIES
- MANAGE THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE PROJECT
- HAVE THE PROJECT COMPLETED IN TIME FOR THE BOROUGH'S ANNUAL INDEPENDENCE DAY FESTIVAL HELD AT THE WATERFRONT PARK
UNIQUE OR UNUSUAL DESIGN FEATURES:
- PERFORM BATHYMETRY, GEOTECHNICAL EVALUATIONS AND STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS TO ENSURE PROPER PIER DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION
- OBTAIN NJDEP WATERFRONT DEVELOPMENT AND UNITED STATES ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS PERMITS
- ASSIST IN OBTAINING ALTERNATIVE FUNDING THROUGH THE COUNTY OF MIDDLESEX
- PIER FRAMING AND GRATING DESIGN TO ALLOW FOR CHANGE OF DIRECTION DUE TO WAVE ACTION
- PIER DESIGN TO ACCOMMODATE THE FUTURE INSTALLATION OF A STEEL SHEETED WAVE SCREEN TO ALLOW THE PIER TO SERVE AS A BREAKWATER FOR THE FUTURE MUNICIPAL MARINA
- DESIGN INCLUDED A SYMMETRICAL CONNECTION TO THE EXISTING PROMENADE IN ORDER TO PROVIDE A SMOOTH HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL TRANSITION
- DESIGN INCLUDED A LIGHTING SYSTEM INTEGRATED INTO THE RAILING OF THE PIER TO ALLOW FOR AESTHETICALLY PLEASING NIGHT USE AND APPEARANCE WHILE MINIMIZING MAINTENANCE
- PROJECT INCLUDED THE INSTALLATION OF MOORING BOLLARDS ALONG THE EXISTING PROMENADE TO ALLOW LARGER RECREATIONAL BOATS AND SMALL CRUISE LINES TO PICK UP AND DROP OFF PASSENGERS.
Through the hard work and efforts of Mr. Valesi and his team, the Carteret Recreation Pier has been constructed and the next phase of Borough's Waterfront Redevelopment has been completed. Fishermen can be seen daily on the pier, fishing on the "Welcome Mat" for the Municipal Marina which is currently in the permit phase.