Township of Piscataway
NJ Society of Municipal Engineers
2016 Project of the Year
Honorable Mention - Category C
Having identified the need for the Department of Public Works Vehicle Canopy Project, Piscataway Township contracted Mr. Michael J. McClelland, P.E. and his Team at CME Associates to lead the design phase efforts required to bring this important project to fruition.
Based upon the key pieces of equipment and the critical fleet vehicles the Township needed to shelter under the canopy, Mr. McClelland and his Team developed conceptual site plans and conceptual canopy sizes by carefully measuring and inventorying the entire essential DPW fleet. With an available undeveloped piece of property adjacent to the exiting DPW yard, Mr. McClelland was challenged to design the new DPW vehicle canopy site in such a manner that it seamlessly integrated into the existing DPW yard from a circulation and operational perspective without disrupting the day to day operations of the existing DPW facility.
• PERFORM TOWNSHIP VEHICLE INVENTORY AND DEVELOP APPROPRIATE CANOPY SIZE TO SHELTER ESSENTIAL DPW FLEET VEHICLES FROM INCLEMENT WEATHER.
• DEVELOP VARIOUS CONCEPT SITE PLANS FOR THE TOWNSHIP TO CONSIDER AND SELECT THE PREFERRED ALTERNATIVE
• UTILIZE AN EXISTING PARCEL OF LAND ADJACENT TO THE EXISTING DPW SITE FOR THE DPW VEHICLE CANOPY.
• COORDINATE ALL NECESSARY SITE UTILITIES WITH THE RESPECTIVE UTILITY COMPANIES INCLUDING WATER AND ELECTRIC.
• DESIGN SITE DRAINAGE SYSTEM TO MEET THE CURRENT STORMWATER MANAGEMENT REQUIREMENTS INCLUDING RUNOFF REDUCTIONS
• DEVELOP AN AESTHETICALLY ATTRACTIVE CANOPY AND SITE DESIGN WITH ROADSIDE LANDSCAPING.
• CONSTRUCT NEW DPW VEHICLE CANOPY PROJECT WITH MINIMAL DISTURBANCE TO THE EXISTING ADJACENT FULLY OPERATIONAL DPW YARD.
• OBTAIN ALL REQUIRED OUTSIDE AGENCY APPROVALS NEEDED TO CONSTRUCT THE PROJECT
UNIQUE OR UNUSUAL DESIGN FEATURES:
• DESIGN A NEW DPW YARD EXIT ONLY SITE DRIVEWAY WITH FULLY AUTOMATED LOOP ACTUATED ACCESS GATE FOR THE VEHICLE OPERATORS TO EXIT THE SITE WITHOUT LEAVING THEIR VEHICLES.
• DESIGN THE DPW VEHICLE CANOPY SITE TO FUNCTION AS A NEW FACILITY WHICH IS COMPLETELY INTEGRATED INTO THE EXISTING DPW YARD OPERATIONS INCLUDING SITE PERIMETER FENCING, VEHICLE CIRCULATION AND ACCESS.
• INCLUDE THE NECESSARY DESIGN PROVISIONS FOR THE DPW CANOPY TO BE EQUIPPED WITH SOLAR PANELS AND CCTV IN THE FUTURE.
• DESIGN PARKING SPACES WITH ADJACENT POST MOUNTED ELECTRICAL OUTLETS FOR THE PURPOSE OF CONNECTING DPW VEHICLES WHICH REQUIRE ENGINE BLOCK HEATERS.
• PROVIDE DETENTION BASIN ACCESS FOR THE TOWNSHIP TO UTILIZE REMOTE CONTROL OPERATED LAWN CUTTING EQUIPMENT
• DESIGN SITE GRADING TO ACHIEVE BALANCED CUTS AND FILLS WHILE PROVIDING MINIMUM SLOPES AND CONNECTIONS TO CHALLENGING EXISTING ADJACENT TOPOGRAPHY
• DESIGN CANOPY STRUCTURE TO MINIMIZE THE NUMBER OF COLUMNS REQUIRED TO SUPPORT THE CANOPY WHILE MAXIMIZING SPAN LENGTHS AND THEREBY REDUCING THE NUMBER OF OBSTRUCTIONS DPW VEHICLE OPERATORS CIRCULATING THROUGH THE FACILITY WOULD BE REQUIRED TO NAVIGATE.
Now that the DPW Vehicle Canopy Structure construction has been completed including the installation of decorative site landscaping with the addition of a new perimeter fencing which incorporates the new facility into the existing DPW yard, it looks as if it has always belonged there. Due to the foresight of the Township and the efforts of Mr. McClelland and his team the Piscataway DPW Vehicle Canopy will shelter the Township's fleet of vehicles and the DPW staff so they are ready to quickly respond to the needs of the community in this upcoming Winter season 2016-2017. In addition, the DPW Vehicle Canopy is expected
to prolong the life of the Township's vehicle fleet by providing both shelter and shade from nature's elements at 1/5 the cost of a building, while creating an improved work environment for the Township's hard working DPW Staff for many years to come.