Fulton St. Reconstruction Project - Twp. of Woodbridge
New Jersey Society of Municipal Engineers
Project of the Year
Fulton Street is an existing one quarter of a mile long local road in the Woodbridge proper community. Prior to being improved, the existing roadway exhibited severe deterioration due to failures in the existing concrete base. In addition, the roadway, which at its lowest point is situated at approximate elevation 6.0 (NAVD 88) was prone to flooding in low intensity storms which further accelerated the deterioration of the roadway.
Accordingly, the Township turned to Consulting Engineer Michael McClelland, P.E., and Partner of CME Associates to provide engineering design and construction phase services associated with the Fulton Street Reconstruction Project.
- PROVIDE IMPROVEMENTS TO EXISTING DETERIORATED PAVEMENT CONDITIONS.
- REPLACE EXISTING AGED SANITARY SEWERAGE SYSTEM TO ALLEVIATE FUTURE DISTURBANCE TO THE ROADWAY.
- PROVIDE IMPROVEMENTS TO DRAINAGE SYSTEM AND FLOODING CONDITIONS ALONG THE ROADWAY.
- DESIGN STORM SEWER SYSTEM TO ACCOMMODATE FUTURE IMPROVEMENTS BOTH UPSTREAM AND DOWNSTREAM OF THE ROADWAY IN A PHASED APPROACH.
- INTRODUCE STREETSCAPE AMENITIES TO TRANSITION TO THE EXISTING STREETSCAPE ALONG MAIN STREET.
- COORDINATE WITH THE NEW JERSEY TURNPIKE AUTHORITY REGARDING FUTURE DOWNSTREAM STORM SEWER IMPROVEMENTS.
Unique or Unusual Design Features:
- DESIGN OF STORM DRAINAGE IMPROVEMENTS THAT CONVEY FLOWS UTILIZING TWO EXISTING OUTFALL PIPES MAXIMIZING USAGE OF THE EXISTING CONVEYANCE SYSTEMS.
- ACCOMMODATIONS IN STORM DRAINAGE DESIGN TO ALLOW FOR EXPANSION OF SYSTEM BOTH UPSTREAM AND DOWNSTREAM OF PROJECT.
- INCORPORATION OF INNOVATIVE LOW PROFILE BOX CULVERTS AND SPECIAL JUNCTION CHAMBER STRUCTURES DUE TO LOW ELEVATIONS OF ROADWAY AND MINIMAL AVAILABLE CULVERT COVER.
- DESIGN FOR CONSTRUCTION WITHIN CONFINED RESIDENTIAL AREA WITH NO IMPACTS TO ADJACENT OVERPASS AND RAILROAD RETAINING WALLS.
- CLOSE COORDINATION WITH UTILITY COMPANIES TO ALLOW FOR CONSTRUCTION TO PROCEED WITH MINIMAL DISRUPTION TO RESIDENTIAL SERVICE.
- CREATIVE STAGING OF CONSTRUCTION DUE TO NARROW AND ONE WAY ROADWAYS IN ADJACENT NEIGHBORHOOD.
The improvements were completed in July of 2012 to the satisfaction of the Township and property owners alike. As a result of Mr. McClelland's innovative design, the Township is now in a position to build upon the success and begin to address the other areas of concern within the drainage basin.