Borough of Milltown
2016 Project of the Year
Second Place - Category B
The Borough of Milltown is one of ten municipalities in the State of New Jersey that owns and operates its own Electric Distribution System. The Borough's former Substation was originally constructed in the 1960's and unfortunately was located in an area that is currently subject to significant flooding.
In 2011, the Mayor and Borough Council appointed a Committee comprised of 15 residents some in the electric industry and other interested citizens to explore the options of selling the entire Electric Utility, improving the existing Substation, or relocating the Substation to higher ground. Ultimately, the Committee, with the guidance of Mr. McClelland, recommended that the Substation be relocated to an alternate location.
The Borough then commissioned Mr. McClelland to estimate the cost to relocate the Substation, seek funding opportunities, review the suitability of various properties throughout the Borough for the relocation of the Station, and design and construct a new Electrical Substation.
• PROVIDE ALTERNATIVE ANALYSIS TO DETERMINE BEST LOCATION FOR NEW SUBSTATION
• DEVELOP COST ESTIMATES FOR ALTERNATIVE SITES
• IDENTIFY AVAILABLE FUNDING SOURCES
• ASSIST WITH SECURING PROPERTY FOR NEW SUBSTATION INCLUDING COORDINATION WITH MIDDLESEX COUNTY AND GREEN ACRES DISPOSAL/DIVERSION.
• PROVIDE ADVICE TO AND UTILIZE INPUT FROM BOROUGH ELECTRICAL ADVISORY COMMITTEE
• SECURE ALL PERMITS AND APPROVALS FOR PROJECT
• FAST TRACK PROJECT UNDER EMERGENCY CONDITIONS
• DEVELOP BUILDING FACADE THAT REFLECTS THE HISTORIC ARCHITECTURE
WITHIN THE BOROUGH
Unique or Unusual Design Features:
• DESIGN PROJECT UTILIZING UNIQUE TERRAIN AND BUILDING TO AID IN SCREENING OF SWITCHYARD
• DEVELOPMENT OF BUILDING ARCHITECTURE TO MATCH HISTORIC MOTIF OF THE BOROUGH
• SUBSTATION LOCATED TO ALLOW FOR NO CHANGES TO EXISTING BOROUGH WIDE CIRCUITRY
• USE OF WRAP AROUND BUS WHEREBY INDIVIDUAL TRANSFORMERS CAN BE TAKEN OFF LINE WITHOUT DISRUPTION TO DISTRIBUTION OF POWER
• USE OF PERFORMANCE SPECIFICATIONS TO EXPEDITE RECEIPT OF PROPOSALS AND COMMENCEMENT OF PROJECT.
• INVESTIGATE AND OBTAIN APPROVAL OF FUNDING SOURCE TO MINIMIZE COST TO THE BOROUGH'S RATE PAYERS THROUGH THE STATE'S LOW INTEREST LOAN PROGRAM, NJEIT.
Through the efforts of the Borough Engineer, Michael J. McClelland, P.E., the Governing Body has now achieved a long sought after goal of providing a reliable and resilient power supply at a competitive cost that will serve the residents and businesses of the Borough of Milltown into the foreseeable future.