NJ Society of Municipal Engineers
2015 Project of the Year
Second Place Category D
The Manalapan Recreation Center is the centrally located Township Recreation Facility currently providing almost all of the athletic fields for local sports groups within the Township. In the early 2000's the Township acquired a 48 acre tract of land adjoining the facility with a goal for future expansion. Through the guidance of their Municipal Engineer Gregory Valesi, PE, PP, & CME over the years, this tract has been planned and improved to meet the growing recreational needs of the community.
The remaining piece of the expansion development puzzle consisted of the Multi-Age Play Lot, Picnic Pavilion and Restrooms within the centrally located area of the expansion. Once again Mr. Valesi was challenged to listen to, and meet the needs of the community and deliver a product that will compliment and complete this popular facility.
• CONTINUE TO GROW THE RECREATION CENTER EXPANSION IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE EXISTING CONCEPT PLAN
• STUDY THE FEASIBILITY OF AQUATIC ADDITION TO THE CENTER AND ADVISE
• AESTHETICALLY BLEND THE SPLASH PARK IN WITH THE REST OF THE RECREATION CENTER
• SEEK ALTERNATIVE FUNDING SOURCES
• PREPARE THE CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS
• PROVIDE THE CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT
• HAVE BOTH FACILITIES READY FOR THE SUMMER OF 2015
UNIQUE OR UNUSUAL DESIGN FEATURES:
• UTILIZATION OF A PRE-FABRICATED COMFORT BUILDING FOR COST AND TIME SAVINGS AS WELL AS TO AVOID MAJOR DISRUPTION WITHIN THE EXISTING RECREATION CENTER
• DESIGN SPLASH PARK WITH SPORTS THEMED SPLASH DEVICES TO BLEND WITH THE REST OF THE RECREATION CENTER
• PLACEMENT OF BOTH FACILITIES CLOSE TO EXISTING WATER AND SEWER UTILITIES WITHIN THE SITE
• SEEK AND OBTAIN COUNTY MUNICIPAL OPEN SPACE PROGRAM FUNDING TO EASE BURDEN ON TOWNSHIP TAX PAYERS
• DESIGN AND PLACE STRUCTURES WITHIN THE AREA OF THE MUNICIPALLY BUILT PICNIC PAVILION AND CONNECT WITH WALKWAYS TO VIRTUALLY TIE ALL FACILITIES TOGETHER
• FAST TRACKED CONSTRUCTION MANAGEMENT OF SPLASH PARK TO ENSURE BOTH FACILITIES WERE READY FOR USE IN THE SUMMER OF 2015
With the completion of the Splash Park and Comfort Station at the Manalapan Township Recreation Center Expansion, the hot summer of 2015 was a memorable one for Township Residents and all who used the complex. On any given day children were staying cool at the facility that has been wisely expanded through the efforts of the Township Mayor and Committee along with their Municipal Engineer.